Saturday, August 28, 2010

the longest day of my life... August 28th


Saturday, August 28th was like the longest day of my life. We had a planned excursion today with all of the EAP students.  We went to an oyster farming town somewhere by the Atlantic.  We saw how the oyster farm which wasn’t really a particularly interesting trip.  It only got interesting around lunch time when they made us try raw oysters… I would totally try escargot, but there is no way in hell I am trying raw seafood… especially since I don’t eat any seafood ever anyway.  I got my friend to eat some of mine so that it didn’t look rude to not eat the oysters.  Then they just kept feeding us ham, cheese, and bread, followed by an apple tart with red wine glaze which wasn’t amazing or anything…

Then we went to the world’s largest sand dune and climbed it… once again, I am shown that I am more out of shape than I thought.  I thought that it would be a cool idea to climb the sand rather than just take the steps up the sand dune…(yes it is so large that it has its own flight of steps).  France keeps handing me my fat butt by making everything so hard to get to.  Even the thinnest people here were out of breath after climbing a huge sand mountain.  Nevertheless, it was soooo worth it! Gorgeous view
Sand Dune

After, we went to Arcachon to go to the beach… it sucked because they only gave us one hour of beach time.  I would have rather not eaten oysters or visit the oyster farms and have spent more time at the beach.  The water was perfect but it didn’t last very long.

On the bus drive home, the driver decided to take the streets rather than the freeway for some reason.  It took FOREVER! And we were listening to weird American radio with the occasional French pop song.  There was this crap Bohemian Rhapsody cover that was playing and I immediately felt insulted… way to ruin a good song. It was like jazzy and stuff… insanity.
I had an appointment to look at an apartment at 6pm but I called and canceled because I didn’t think we would be back in time.  But the guy said that I could come at 8pm… he told me this at 7:15.  I had 45 minutes to get dressed, catch the metro, and walk to this house.  I had just gotten back home at 6:30 then I took a shower and put sweats on… so much for relaxing. I got to the house at 8:07ish and I really liked it, but the guy told me that one girl had come before me to see the house… which means that now there is a good chance that I wont get it… AWESOME!

I left the house kinda bummed and waited at the metro stop for my friends who of course didn’t get there until 40 minutes later and then I still had to find them because they got off at a different stop.  I was not happy.

We got dinner at a fast food pasta place which is pretty much the coolest idea ever.  Instead of a vat of boiling oil, they use a vat of boiling… water? Plus, it was really good… the Italian in the group agreed.

Once again, we went to the river and people drank… but because I was only with a couple of girls, they bought flasks of vodka and some chasers and very classy-like drank them on a bench by the river.

The big party group in the program eventually made their way downtown and we met up with them… only to get more alcohol and return to the river… the exact same thing that we had done the previous night, and earlier this night… needless to say, I was not happy… I was bored of all the drunken Americans.

Then the group split and half of us randomly walked to a metro stop.  We got on and it was SOOOO crowded.  Probably the craziest bus/metro experience of my life… plus everyone was speaking in French.  We got off by the train station which is a relatively sketchy part of town.  We were lost while trying to find some club that some people had heard of from somewhere… very specific, I know.

The club had no cover charge and played electronic/house music.  I actually had a really fun time.  Those guys stare, grab, and try to dance with you even when I was not dancing sexily at all.  And they kept trying to talk to me, but it was too loud and I don’t understand enough French so it was pretty much useless… I kept seeing girls from my group making out with random French boys… it was just a seriously crazy night

We caught a taxi home and didn’t get back until 4am… longest day of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment